Thursday, April 7, 2011

Grain Soaking

I have been reading a new cookbook called "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. Well, it's actually more of a textbook. Sally Fallon makes a lot of out-of-the box claims about diet and nutrition and backs it all up with case studies from cultures around the world. One of the claims she makes is that the grains we eat were meant to be soaked, or fermented, before being eaten. Soaking the grain in buttermilk, yogurt or other cultured milk, breaks down the phytic acid contained in the bran (or outer layer) of the grain. This increases the vitamin content of the grain and makes the nutrients it contains more available when digested. I have been playing around with my favorite banana bread recipe to try and make it a soaked grain recipe. I think I have come up with a formula that works quite well. So I thought I'd share it with you so you can try it if you'd like.

Ingredients:

1/2 C plain yogurt with active cultures (I use Nancy's)
1/4 C water
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour/spelt
1/4 C butter, softened
2/3 C raw honey
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 C ripe mashed bananas
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Directions:

Combine flour, water and yogurt in a medium bowl. Leave in warm place for 12-24 hours to soak (On your kitchen counter will work fine).

After soaking grains: Mix butter, eggs, honey and vanilla until creamy. Add bananas and cinnamon and mix well. Add soda, salt and flour/yogurt mixture. Mix until combined. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until toothpick comes out clean and thermometer reads 195 degrees.

Allow bread to cool in pan for 15 minutes or so. Turn out on a cooling rack and allow to finish cooling completely. The bread will be very moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Click to see my website!

Click to see my website!
Terra Stopher Photography