Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Yogurt Adventure

I tried a few soaked grain recipes! Among the successes are pancakes, sourdough bread (of course!!), yogurt herb bread, and banana bread (the recipe I shared previously). My one failure has been waffles that were chewy inside, yuck! Now I am focusing on making better choices with the dairy my family consumes. We love milk. For several years I have been desiring to have only unhomogenized whole milk in our house. I would REALLY love raw. But unfortunately, raw milk is illegal to sell or buy in the state of Idaho. I recently found a dairy that provides organic, grass-fed, low temp pasteurized milk. So I decided to bite the bullet and pay $3.25 per HALF gallon for it. But I look at it this way...Homogenization changes the fat particles so that our body no longer recognizes them for what they are. So they clog our arteries! The powdered nonfat milk added to skim milk for flavor is just as bad! The cost is worth the investment in my family's health. Also, we love yogurt. Can I say that again? We LOVE yogurt! Our kids have yogurt every night before bed, we drink it in our smoothies, and use it to bread our oven "fried" chicken among many other uses. But the yogurt I have found to be the most healthy among all the grocery store options (no powdered skin milk, full fat, and low added sugar) is $2.88 a quart. That comes to $11.52 a gallon! Talk about expensive. And I am compromising some of my desires, since the one yogurt that meets all my basic criteria is not organic, is pasteurized, and also made with cream which makes it 18g of fat per serving! So, I have decided to jump ship on store bought yogurt. At a price of $6.50 a gallon, I can make my own yogurt with that yummy unhomogenized, organic, grass-fed milk! Way less expensive. So, there is even a cost savings along with this health benefit, which is even more motivation to try it.
On the docket for tomorrow: Home Made Yogurt. Here I go. Wish me luck. I'll take some pictures and report back in a day or two.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool!

    Are you familiar with this site?
    http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/
    Lots of practical but "alternative" ways of eating and healthier foods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I love her recipes! I also love realfoodhealthyliving.com and kichenstewardship.com. Both of these sites explain the ideas behind eating full fat dairy, using healthy saturated fats, and grain soaking way better than I do!

    ReplyDelete

Click to see my website!

Click to see my website!
Terra Stopher Photography